Skip to main content

Tartine Bakery & Pie in Itaewon

I always had a special thing for pie, even though I never had many chances to eat it often. When, a few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about a pie cafe in Gangnam, a colleague mentioned Tartine, a bakery in Itaewon where I could get really good, albeit a bit expensive, pie. To be honest, I wasn't 100% satisfied with Crispy Pie because they were too crispy, just as the name suggested. I like myself a softer crust with mushier fillings that just melt in your mouth. When I finally had the chance to try Tartine, I sincerely hoped it would be the type of pie I was looking for, because it's seriously so difficult to find in Seoul. If it's in Seoul at all, though, chances are it will be in Itaewon.




All pies are splendidly on display, so we can check out all the flavors that are available before even going in. I think the place has two separate buildings; we entered the one with the display window. Each pie is about the size of a spread-out palm. The cafe also sells assorted pastries/cakes and muffins, as well as beverages.


They provide an English menu with all the drinks. There's also a menu with a full list of pies, after which I saw I was completely ecstatic to learn that they also had coconut cream pie and lemon meringue, which was unfortunately sold out. They have my favorite pumpkin pie as well, which is a seasonal menu.

Strawberry rhubarb pie

Nanaimo

Butter tart


We ended up ordering the strawberry rhubarb, butter tart, and nanaimo - very Canadian choices, especially the nanaimo, which was Austin's choice. I'd never heard of it before, and when I had my first bite I was mind blown! It was the the perfect combination of chocolate and coconut. Coconut is not such a popular flavor here in Korea, God knows why, so I was more than pleasantly surprised and glad I learned that there were such desserts available in Korea. The butter tart was tasty, but nothing too extraordinary. I choose the strawberry rhubarb because I'd never tried rhubarb before and was feeling unnecessarily adventurous. My opinion?

Meh. It was OK. Thank goodness the strawberry was there, because the rhubarb was definitely not my type. It was... a bit sour, a bit bitter, and it looked like bits of celery. At least I can say I've tried it and got it over with. I don't particularly dislike it; if I wanted pie and this was the only one available, I'd still eat it. The texture of it was just perfect, and even though they were insanely expensive I would still eat here again. I think next time I'll try something safe, like fudge or cream cheese or cherry pie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.