Skip to main content

Shang Yin 上瘾 (Addicted/Heroin) Chinese Web Series

Oh man, time for some major fangirling again. Last night I just finished watching a 15-episode web drama series from China, and now I have a super big crush on Huang Jingyu (黃景瑜), whose acting was spot on and quite sexy.

Synopsis taken from Wikipedia:

Ever since he was young, Bai Luo Yin (Xu Weizhou) has been living with his careless (but loving) father, Bai Han Qi, and his grandmother. When he turned 16 years old, his biological mother Jiang Yuan re-married. Her new husband is a high ranking military official, Gu Wei Ting.

Because of his mother’s death, Gu Wei Ting’s son, Gu Hai (Huang Jingyu), has been harboring a deep grudge towards his father. Due to the random hand of fate, the two step-brothers with wildly conflicting emotional backgrounds have been placed in the same class at a Beijing high school, without knowing each other's background at first. With time, they slowly developed a special feeling, each in a different way. Their classmates, You Qi and Yang Meng, have been instrumental in the relationship.





I hadn't known anything at all about Shangyin when I started. This was the first video that popped up on YouTube when I searched for Mandarin dramas with Korean subtitles (for some listening practice). And yeah, all episodes are available on YouTube, in English and Korean subs. Anyway. I didn't think much of any of the actors, and just figured they were not so bad, and then I came across an interview, and some photo shoots and just realized how incredibly hot this guy is, and how horrible Chinese school uniforms are (no offense)! Can we just take a moment to appreciate this dude:








Droooool.

As I steadily trudged through the episodes (eventually binge watching the second half) and as Luo Yin and Gu Hai's relationship started to develop, I was captivated by this Gu Hai character, not only because of looks but because of the way he was portrayed. He was just so open and vigorous and innocent and straightforward about his feelings, although both boys were internally struggling, Luo Yin more so. The more I could feel the love and sexual tension between them, the more he seemed seriously attractive. They both have pretty good bodies too, which was icing on the cake.

Really, tho. It was the first time I was turned on by a guy courting another man! Especially later on when he says things that really show how committed he is willing to be for the man he loves, regardless of the consequences or social perceptions. *Sigh*

Anyway, this is my second Chinese drama I've completed and I've two things to say about this.

1. The ending of each episode is seriously wtf.
This goes for the other drama I watched too (My Sunshine). I'm watching, focusing, paying attention to the story, and then all of a sudden it gets cut off and it's just the end of an episode, and I'm just left like... what?
Maybe I'm too used to Korean dramas, who make the end of each episode so fucking dramatic that you just HAVE to wait for the next episode because you need to know what happens next. But Chinese dramas are just like, they're having dinner and go for a walk, and then the end. SMH.
And the last episode too. I mean, ex-girlfriend appears out of nowhere and says hi while current boyfriend is giving the death stare from behind, and then the whole series is finished. Not even an episode. Is this indicating a new season? Huh? I was just so confused when the whole thing was over, not even sad because I had no idea what I was supposed to process.
... and then I learned there are supposed to be 18 episodes and it was stopped for censorship reasons. Boo. But still, I stand by what I said about the each episode thing.

2. The opening sequence had me pissed at the end of the last episode.
OK, so I might sound a bit perverted for saying this, but the title sequence had a few steamy shots and I was quite looking forward to these. As the two main characters started to realize their feelings for each other, I was excited to finally see them lower their barriers and concede to the elephant in the room. Episode 10, 11, 12 I waited and waited and still didn't see the clip from the opening sequence. I figured, these people are smart, they're using this to keep me watching until the end, right?
And then I finished the whole thing, but nothing!! What happened to the make out on the bed? The make out against the wall? It was cut out from the actual episode! Was there something I missed? I really hope not!

But whatever. Still loved it, and Huang Jingyu is hot. So I'm satisfied.

Comments

  1. can you help me find chinese text for addicted aka heroin novel book 2?? i am really curious to death because i can not find any link for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay connected on "are you addicted" the novel translated in english by sae han on tumblr wordpress

      Delete
  2. Very interesting and informative blog and about the podcast and I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
    podcast

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.