Skip to main content

Swedish Surströmming Adventures!


My good Swedish friend Mikael sent me a can of surströmming (fermented herring) to sample, a few weeks ago. We had talked about this dish during his stay in Korea last year as an exchange student, about how it's 10 times smellier than 홍어, which in my opinion is already one of the smelliest fermented fish thingy to ever exist. Surströmming, however, is different in that it's a canned food, and the can tends to swell while it ferments over a couple of months. For this reason, some airlines have even banned it on flights altogether (for fear of explosion).

I'd mentally prepared myself by watching videos of people eating it and puking, and going on about how nasty it is, and at the same time researching the traditional way to eat it. So I ordered some tunnbröd from IKEA, boiled some potatoes, chopped up some onion, and brought along butter to make a proper meal out of it instead of just an experiment. I drove all the way to Songdo, Incheon, where a friend of mine lived - she had found an awesome field, free of passersby and just human life in general, which we reckoned was a perfect place to taste this stinky fish.

It was a great experience; we spent more than 10 minutes trying to work out the can opener, forced to smell it the whole while. I was worried for a bit that we wouldn't be able to open the can and taste it, which would be a complete waste of time and all the efforts I took (in preparing all the other accompanying dishes), all the while being stuck with the stench. Eventually we managed to open the can, make a sloppy sandwich roll, and take a few bites.

I think it was more manageable for me because I had tasted and rather enjoyed other fermented and salty fishes before. This was obviously by far the stinkiest, of course, but when I was actually eating it, it was surprisingly all right. I think if the fully prepared meal was served to me, without any torturous can-opening ceremonies, I might have appreciated it a lot more. It's just the 10-plus minutes of having to endure the smell that sort of worsened the experience.

Anyway, after my brave attempt at live octopus last year, yesterday made me feel pretty invincible. Mikael tells me now I should probably be accepted as a Swedish citizen in no time, if I just show them the video. Just present me with the opportunity, anyone, and I'll be more than ready to pack my bags and fly over right away! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.