Skip to main content

College Admissions.... Again

Just last week while I was chatting with a Chinese friend for language exchange, I came across the idea that maybe I could continue my undergrad education in China. It was a sudden stroke of inspiration that came about thanks to this friend's casual, almost-jokingly-mentioned suggestion, but the more I think about it the more it seems so right. The tuition is much less expensive, there are plenty of schools with linguistics programs (more than Korea anyway) and English-taught courses, admissions are relatively easier for international students, I could apply for scholarships more easily than NY, it's only about 2 hours away from Seoul by plane, and I could pick up Chinese a lot more quickly. I could finally fulfill my dream of completing my education, or at least continuing with it, something that would make me a lot happier than being stuck in an office all day (not that I actually hate my current job).

Anyway, so I'm googling a bunch of schools in China, and looking through all these application requirements, and now I see that I'll need to take the SATs and TOEFL all over again, because my scores have long since expired. And it's different this time because unlike when I was 17ish, with no job and no responsibilities, I'll have to juggle all this test prep with a full time job, since for now I'm the sole breadwinner and I've got mouths to feed (my mom's and my own). It's slightly intimidating, but strangely enough I don't feel so worried. On the contrary, I feel a lot more comfortable this time, and more confident. Not because I feel like I've grown smarter or because I'm a lot older and experienced since my last exams - well, maybe a little bit. It's just that this time I'm more aware of the fact that it's really not such a big deal. I don't feel any pressure to get the best scores possible (although, obviously, I'll still study hard), or to get into an exceptionally prestigious university, or to not disappoint my parents. For me now, university is an option, and I'm really not so hung up on outcomes. If I get into the school I want, it'll be great. If I don't, I can still keep working and prepare again. I feel like for high school students, college applications fill up the majority of their lives and priorities, and it becomes a huge source of stress since they feel like the next couple of years or so will determine the rest of their lives. But since I know for a fact that that just isn't so, I can actually enjoy the prospect of taking these exams again and navigating through life on my own terms - taking my time and preparing for university because it's a passion of mine, not because that's just what you're supposed to do or because it's what all my peers are going. I'm years behind most people my age but I think it'll be one of the best experiences ever.

So yeah... I'm excited to have a short-term goal again, and I can't wait to see what the following years have in store for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.