Skip to main content

Taipei Trip Day 1: Beitou Hot Springs & Shilin Night Market

The weather forecast was promising rain and chilly temperatures all throughout the 4 days we were to be in Taipei, so I was fairly surprised to see a moderate amount of sunshine upon arrival. My friend and I met at Incheon International Airport at 7:30 and arrived in Taiwan around midday of March 24th, 2017. After purchasing a 5-day SIM card for 300 NT, we bought tickets for an airport bus from some machine for 125 NT each, which turned out to be for the wrong bus. It was heading to Taipei Main Station, which was close to our hotel anyway, so we boarded and after consulting Google Maps, got off at an appropriate stop and walked about 15 minutes to CK Servied Residence. This isn't exactly a hotel; it's a serviced apartment that includes a kitchen and washing machine so that basically you can make it your home if you plan to stay long-term.


The place is located about 10 minutes from Minquan W. Road station.
Directions: Walk straight from exit 9 (10 if you want to take the escalator instead of stairs), turn left at Starbucks, then turn right at 7-Eleven.
It's located in a building called KT Star, which is a hotel building that is shared with different companies. Therefore, the front desk was not staff of the 'servied residence' we were to stay in. This didn't pose much of a problem, as I'd been contacting our own staff via WeChat, who was ready to greet us when we arrived.

I would highly recommend CK Serviced Residence. It was clean, had a balcony with a view of the mountains, and although housekeeping is supposedly not provided, we found our room organized and amenities replenished each day.

We were about an hour early before check-in time, so we walked around the neighborhood to look for a place to eat. We wandered into a Japanese place, which attracted us because they had huge slabs of salmon displayed at their window, and had some sushi and sashimi over rice. I found it interesting that all we heard at this restaurant was K-pop!


After lunch, we took a short break at our room and headed out to take the metro to Beitou, famous for its Japanese-style hot springs. We purchased a 3-day MRT pass for 380 NT, which we made phenomenal use of during our stay.

Getting to Beitou is fairly easy; take the red line to Beitou station, then take one more stop to Xin Beitou. From there I recommend you take a walk to the Thermal Valley, where you will pass streams, nature, flowers, and steaming hot springs that smell of farts due to sulphur.










After another bout of walking, we arrived at Spring City Resort, where we were able to rent a private room for a hot spring bath. We bought tickets in advance at the 7-Eleven just outside the station; just ask the staff to help you buy tickets and they will help you work the machines. Price was a little under 600 NT per person, if I remember correctly, for 1 hour. One hour was more than enough, as I found I couldn't stay more than 30 minutes in the hot water. It's not healthy for you anyway. Shampoo and toiletries are provided, as well as towels.


We then took the free shuttle bus to Beitou Station, where we took the metro to Shilin Night Martket, which is not too far away and on the same red subway line.

Shilin Night Market directions: Get off at Jiantan Station (NOT Shilin) exit 3 and cross the street diagonally. It's not hard to miss!


At Friday night, the place was packed. We could barely walk, and were too tired to wait in the long lines for all the street foods. We managed to buy one snack, which said "Taiwanese Pizza" in English, so I don't know what it's called in Chinese. It was basically a fried dough pancake with different options; the one we went for was cheese and egg, which turned out to be scrumptious.


And then, believe it or not, after walking around a bit we went back to our room to call it a night. I wasn't exactly jet lagged since there's only a one-hour time difference between Taipei and Seoul, but I was exhausted from waking up at dawn to catch the flight and probably too relaxed from the hot spring bath. So I fell into a deeeep sleep at 9 (which, in my defense, is 10 in Seoul) and woke up around 7 the next day.

So here's something I missed out big time on: most of the foods at Shilin Night Market are underground. You'll see a big neon sign pointing to the entrance, but because we saw a bathroom sign right underneath, we thought it was a sign for the bathroom. But NOOOOO you need to enter and that's where you'll find all the food. We didn't know, and though we even went the next day we didn't find out until way later and felt such a hollow despair we decided to go again on our last day, but gave up because our weak asses were too tired lol.

Well, so yeah. This sums up my first, rather uneventful day in Taipei!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.