Skip to main content

Achasan/Yongmasan - Easy Hiking Course in Seoul

Easy, but not to be overlooked if you're covering both mountains, as I learned today. I'd hiked up Achasan before, which is a super easy mountain, less than 300 meters high. Since I hadn't gone hiking since last fall and felt a little rusty, I decided I'd hit it up for my first hike of the year on Children's Day. My friend and I started at Achasan station exit 2, line 5. We didn't have any maps or directions; all we had to do was follow the groups of middle-aged people in ridiculously colorful hiking clothes and gear, and we knew we'd end up at some sort of hiking trail.

The trail starts off fairly easy, with a mostly dirt path and a slight slope. About halfway up our particular trail, we ran into a pavilion called Goguryeojeong (고구려정), which I assume has to do with the Goguryeo kingdom but I was too lazy to read more about it.

 


Just a few more minutes of hiking and you're pretty much at the top. There are a few ancient forts that aren't particularly impressive, and that's it. However, there are quite a lot of viewpoints that offer fantastic panoramic glimpses of the city and its surrounding mountains.

Lotte World Tower from a distance




One of the designated er... nicest pine trees of the mountain. No really, it has a sign and everything.

Basically, up to this point, the hike feels like something minutely more rigorous than a leisurely stroll. No sense of achievement or anything, but after a short hike of only about 40 minutes the views are already great. We decided to continue on and follow the ridge that leads to the connected mountain, Yongmasan. Along the way we found a few peddlers selling old-school Korean ice cream, as well as snacks/water/hats/equipment and other random stuff.

 

 


And since it's spring, I found some nice flowers as well, though very sparsely.




After some more walking I noticed some orange ribbons tied to the trees lined along the path.  A closer look and I could see that we'd stumbled upon the Seoul Trail, which is a hiking trail that runs through several mountains and over 150 km around the whole city.


We didn't follow the ribbons though - to be honest, there only seemed to be one path to follow, but at one point the ribbons disappeared, so I guess we walked off the trail eventually. Some more uphill/downhill stairs and paths, and we ended up at the peak of Yongmasan (348m). It seemed a lot more like an actual peak, because you had the stone indicator and the flag to show it.



From there all that was left was going down. There were 3-4 trails leading down from the peak, and we asked for directions to the nearest subway station. We didn't really get an accurate answer from anyone, so we chose a random path and decided to take a cab if we didn't end up near a station.

We followed the signs that were supposed to lead to a waterfall, but apparently we went the wrong way because we didn't find it. Instead we passed by another smaller pavilion and this outdoor gym that looked very ghetto.



After this point the trail turned very steep, with lots of rock and rope to hold on to for support. I felt this was definitely the more interesting part of the whole hike. It would have been better and much more exercise to start the hike from this part, and end with the easy Achasan trail - which I think I'll do next time.




The weather was perfect, with some strong breezes in between. And yes, we ended up in a remote part of town and had to take a cab to the subway station for a late lunch around the area before heading home. Since the downhill part was a lot more difficult, my knees nearly gave away at the end and were still shaking well after the hike was over. Compared to other higher mountains, however, Achasan/Yongmasan are very doable hikes that don't require long hours or a lot of stamina. Plus, you get an awesome view without much effort!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.