Skip to main content

Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls

I invited an American friend to sleep over on the weekend, and for dinner decided to prepare Vietnamese spring rolls. I'm not even sure if Vietnamese people eat it the way we did; it's probably a very Koreanized version, but I'm Korean, what can I say? Anyway, it was the first proper major meal that we prepared since we moved in last month, both for guests or for ourselves, and so my mom and I made a huge deal out of it. And naturally, due to the magnitude of the occasion (for me at least) I had decided to document it.

I'm definitely not good enough of a cook to be posting any recipes, any these rolls are, in my opinion, one of the easiest foods to make. The ingredients to prepare are whatever you want to put in your rolls, so in my case: ground beef, eggs, mushrooms, peppers, onion, carrot, sprouts, and 맛살 (matsal, fake crab meat, I have no idea what you call it in English). 




I chopped up the vegetables into nice even sizes, sauted the onion, parboiled the mushrooms, and laid them out on a long plate. So pretty and colorful :D

 
Then I whisked and fried my eggs, and cooked the ground beef after seasoning it a bit with garlic, salt, and pepper. 

 

Then at the last minute, my mom decided to invite my brother over for dinner as well. I was making rolls for three, not four, and since we were worried that wouldn't be enough food, we hastily made some rice balls. We didn't have time to cook rice from scratch, so we microwaved some hetbahn (one of the greatest Korean inventions) and threw in a couple packets of Babirang. And voila!


And er... that was pretty much it. We lay out the rice paper, as well as the peanut and chili sauce purchased at the supermarket earlier that day. Eating it is super easy as well:
  1. Prepare a bowl of hot water.
  2. Dip the rice paper evenly into the hot water.
  3. Lay out the paper on your plate.
  4. Take whatever ingredients you want to eat.
  5. Wrap it up (from all four corners), dip in sauce, devour.



I had an amazing time preparing dinner and eating it too. Once again, I'm pretty sure this isn't authentic Vietnamese, but that's what it's known as it in Korea and I love it regardless of what it's called. It's a healthy and nutritious meal that is easy to prepare if you have all the ingredients and aren't too lazy to do some chopping and a bit of simple cooking.

I'm thinking of making burgers next weekend, so hopefully another yummy post will be updated soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.