Skip to main content

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials


Recently I finished a series called "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman, recommended to me by my friend Evan who had said he considered this as good as Harry Potter; which, to me, means "fucking awesome" and "timeless classic". And since Evan seems to be the type to understand that you can't compare something to Harry Potter unless it's really really good, I figured it would be worth a try.


And boy, was I glad I gave it a shot. I'm normally not into fantasy much (with the exception of HP) but this one is much more than mere fairy tales and storytelling. There is a depth and a scale that I think might be difficult to grasp - which makes this simply a gripping adventure for young adults and a profound read with a lot more meaning for older people. To be honest, reading through all three books at once was not a good idea; my brain got a bit tired near the end and I rushed through it without paying much attention. I think I will need to reread it to fully enjoy it, but I'll still need to take a break for a couple of months, lol.

Basically the whole series is about a girl named Lyra who is unknowingly destined to be responsible for the outcome of the world, a world with multiple parallel universes (in Lyra's world, everyone has a daemon, a piece of their soul/being that accompanies them at all times in the form of an animal - which I think is super cool and wish existed for me too). Anyway, she uncovers mysteries about her own life as well as learn more about a certain particle called Dust, or dark matter, which seems to affect adults and children differently. She encounters and befriends creatures like talking polar bear warriors and witches, as well as a boy from our modern world who is also destined to put an end to what is pulling the world towards a disastrous end.

This is just a slight scraping of the surface, though. The books deal a lot with spirituality as well, including the role of the Church, and it depicts "angels" as much less than perfect: with an agenda, selfish, and power-hungry. It also describes the world after death, to which Lyra enters as another step to saving the world. And the turning of events, the surprises, the stories, are just so epic they will keep you hooked until everything is over. A larger former portion of the series will leave you in the dark about whether Mrs. Coulter is actually good or bad - regardless of her true self, she is one of the scariest, sexiest, most charismatic and captivating characters I've ever read of, and whenever she made an appearance it sent disturbing yet exciting chills up my spine.

And would you believe me if I said I cried at least once per book? This is partly what made me love the series so much. Not that it made me cry, but that some of the scenes and emotions depicted are incredibly raw and intense, even though the settings are utterly unrealistic. And the amount of love that this girl feels for other people hit me so hard in the feels. Makes me wonder what it would feel like, to love someone so much it's overwhelming, and that no amount of words or kisses or tight tight hugs could ever express is enough. As well as the amount of pain and sorrow felt when such a person is taken away.

Well, describing it just doesn't do it! His Dark Materials is a real gem that, Evan told me, will be made into a TV series shortly! Hopefully it will be fractionally as good as the books - TV/movie adaptations are usually disappointing, so I'll have to keep my expectations low.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.