Skip to main content

Cyworld has changed and my heart is broken.

Cyworld, a Korean social media platform which was like the Facebook of the day back in the early to mid-2000s, has recently drastically changed its layout and now it's just so strange and unfamiliar and not what it used to be. Which I believe is pointless because nobody in Korea bothers to use Cyworld anymore; we've all moved on to Facebook and Instagram and all the American stuff.  I mean, I know changes and updates are necessary in an ever-changing and fast paced world, especially on the internet. But seriously, do they think changing the layout will attract people back when it's already nearly dead?

The reason I feel so indignant is that I'm one of the very few people who still bother to update Cyworld - sporadically, true, but regularly even so. Since 2007 I've been uploading the movie poster image of every single movie I've watched. Every single one. The album now contains hundreds of movie posters and from time to time I enjoy scrolling through the album and looking back on all the films, many of which I can't even remember. This morning I logged on to Cyworld to upload a new movie I watched yesterday, and was appalled to discover that I can't upload to a specific album anymore! The old pictures and albums are still there for me to look at, but I can't edit or add to it. Instead, everything I upload is just posted in a microblog format, like a fucking mash-up of Facebook and tumblr and Instagram. 

And my diary. There used to be a separate section where you could write diary entries, and I've been updating that for several years too. Usually, people who wrote diary entries on Cyworld wrote really stupid, cringe inducing posts that were deleted soon after. You know, things like "nobody understands me, if only you knew how I felt" without any explanation as to why... then they'd come across that post months later and have no idea what they were thinking at the time it was written. My Cyworld diary, on the other hand, was an actual diary. I wrote about events that happened that day, I commented on things that interested me, emotions I felt, family issues, secrets and weird dreams and fantasies I couldn't dare tell to even my best friend. Even my first kiss, and other secret excursions I took with a boyfriend years ago (after lying to my mother for the first time ever), is documented on that thing, the details of which I have never revealed to anyone. I would be so devastated if I couldn't continue my diary, or my movie poster album. I mean... Cyworld says that the album and diary function will be back soon, and it BETTER be, because otherwise I might go into a state of depression.

I don't even care about all the other features that might get lost forever in Cyworld, though I do miss them a bit. There was a bunch of other things about Cyworld that, when mentioned, could make people feel all nostalgic: the guestbook, the diary stickers, the "퍼가요~♡" scrap function, the background music and miniroom that could be decorated by purchasing "acorns," the obsession over how many people visited your Cyworld that day... it was definitely fun, creating a small "home" online that you could decorate and call your own, accentuating your individuality and style. I can't see why they couldn't keep all that and just simplify the design to make it more fit for modern days? Why do they have to make everything all easy? People are so against putting in that extra effort to share things online - everything has to be all ready to upload in an instant. It's a bit sad, really.

Old Cyworld layout of 이준기 (actor)

Comments

  1. I SO hear you! I've been lamenting it a whole lot too. Everything just looks the same and I think a whole lot of people would greatly enjoy the old cyworld with its pixely charm and endless options to decorate ones home..I wish theyd bring it back TT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Karaoke in Korea: Step-By-Step Instructions

Korean/Japanese karaoke is completely different from the karaoke you might be accustomed to. For one thing, it's not done in a bar; it's an individual room you get to yourselves (the group you're with) so the singing is not done in public for everyone to see. It's popular among kids and teenagers as well as adults - so though we Koreans are used to singing sober, I've heard a lot of foreigners say they'd need to be tipsy at least, if they ever wanted to try such a thing. :D And of course, it's something you would never be able to do alone (though I have gone by myself a couple of times LOL). Now, if you can find a Korean who is willing to take you to karaoke, that's awesome. But what if you're with your friends visiting Korea, and you really want to go try, but you don't have anyone to guide you and you can't speak Korean? It would be a complete shame for you not to experience one of the ultimate Korean pastimes before you go! Even if you

Andrea Martin - Breaking Of My Heart (Lyrics)

Here's my story behind this song and its lyrics: I came across this song by total chance (via a remix made in 2013) and I was completely hooked. I hadn't heard of the singer Andrea Martin before, so obviously this song was unfamiliar too. But something about it drew me in and this is all I listened to for the past couple of days. I wanted to know the lyrics and googled it... and I couldn't find anything. There are lyric pages under this song title but it's completely wrong, probably a different song or something. This was a rare occasion in which Google failed me, and I was completely baffled. I'm guessing this song wasn't very well known if the lyrics were this hard to find, but still. Anyway, so for the handful of people in search of the lyrics like me, I've tried transcribing the song myself. Some parts weren't very clear so I just wrote what seemed reasonable, but they can totally be wrong. If anyone could provide the offiical lyrics that woul

Brazilian Wax in Korea at [Beauty Friends Gangnam]

A girl's first bikini wax, let alone Brazilian, can be quite daunting. If you're well aware of the sensations from plucking your eyebrows, or have tried strip waxing on safer areas like the legs or arms, you would surely be intimidated by the mere thought of having that exact sharp and prickly pain brought upon your most intimate area, where the skin is much thinner and super sensitive. That being said, I have no idea what I was thinking when I went for the all-nude Brazilian wax instead of going for standard bikini on my first try. But anyhow, since I've got my first experience out of the way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.